Awards and Recognitions
- Congratulations to our very own Dr. Jackie Lewis-Harris who is a 2016 St. Louis Arts Awards honoree for Arts Collaboration.
- Congratulations to Dr. Shawn Woodhouse. As of November 1, 2015, Dr. Woodhouse is now Associate Dean of Students in the College of Education. Over the past three years, Dr. Woodhouse has worked tirelessly to create a high quality student services center. Dr. Woodhouse and her team are doing great things in OASIS to recruit, retain, and advise all COE students.
- Dr. Keith Miller research paper, “On robots as genetically modified invasive species” published in Journal of Information, Communication and Ethics in Society has been selected by the journal’s editorial team as Outstanding Paper of 2014.
- Dr. E. Wendy Saul, Allen B. and Helen S. Shopmaker Endowed Professor of Education, received the UM System President’s Award for Cross-Cultural Engagement.
- Dr. Mark Pope, professor of Counseling Education, was appointed Curators Professor. Curators Professors are prestigious positions, and only outstanding scholars with established reputations will be considered for appointment.
- Dr. E. Louis Lankford, E. Desmond Lee Endowed Professor of Art Education, is recipient of the 2015 Distinguished Fellow by the National Art Education Association.
- Dr. Becky Rogers, professor of Educator Preparation, Innovation and Research, has been named President of the Literacy Research Association. The Literacy Research Association (LRA) is a community of scholars dedicated to promoting research that enriches the knowledge, understanding, and development of lifespan literacies in the multicultural and multilingual world.
- Dr. Wolfgang Althof, Teresa M. Fischer Endowed Professor for Citizenship Education, has been named President of the Association for Moral Education (AME). The Association emphasizes self-reflective educational practices that value the with and dignity of people as moral agents and that require opportunities for ethical engagement and moral dialogue.
- Drs. Marvin Berkowitz, Sanford N. McDonnell Endowed Professor of Character Education, and Brian Hutchison, Associate Professor in Counseling Education, have been nominated for the Last Lecture. This honor demonstrates the positive impact in their teaching and service to the university community they have on UMSL students.
- Dr. Brian Hutchison, Associate Professor of Counseling Education, received the 2015 Humanistic Advocacy and Social Justice Award. This award recognizes a profession counselor who has served as a significant advocate for social justice issues.
- Dr. Angel Coker, Associate Professor of Counseling Education, received the 2015 Group Practice Award from the Association for Specialists in Group Work. This award recognizes an outstanding practitioner of group counseling, including innovations in group work practice and the dissemination of group work skills through research, conference presentations, supervision, and training.
- Kappa Delta Pi International Honor Society in Education (KDP) Mu Iota Chapter/College of Education was awarded “The Best Cultural Awareness” and “The Best Sustained Program” for the Martin Luther King Jr’s Day Children’s Program at the Student Leadership Awards.
- In addition, Dr. Alina Slapac, Associate Professor of Educator Preparation, Innovation