MyCOE Guidance for Clinical Educators
Clinical Educators (CEs) are employees of the University of Missouri – Saint Louis’ College of Education and serve to mentor teacher candidates at each studio school site to support their work with PK-12 students and ensure a collaborative school-university partnership.
Clinical Teachers (CTs), on the other-hand, are teaching professionals employed by local districts and community agencies. They serve to mentor and coach the teacher candidates by helping to scaffold the teacher candidate’s ability to plan lessons and to identify evidence of student learning.
One of the tools clinical educators and teachers will utilize to assess teach candidates is MyCOE. MyCOE is primary a central platform to collect and understand performance data of our pre-service and in-service teachers, as well as to better understand the community schools and agencies we serve in local, state and national contexts.
What follows are some common tasks for clinical educators in MyCOE to help make it a smooth and intuitive experience.
Assigning External Raters
In MyCOE, the term External Rater maybe applied to many cases other than clinical experience. For clinical educators, a clinical teacher is synonymous with being an external rater. That said, notice when you navigate to My Ratings that there is now a new button (highlighted in red) to the right of each candidate’s name:
A few things to point out
- This button will only appear next to your candidate’s name when that course contains one or more assessments that need an external rater
- The green play icon indicates that these are assessments that are currently actionable by you;
- Exit Survey, for example is Ready for Candidate (not you),
- Clinical Teacher MEES Formative and Summative assessments are Ready for Rater; the Clinical Teacher is that rater, not you
- Clinical Educator MEES Formative and Summative assessments are Ready for Rater and in this case, that is you
Simple Steps to Assign External Rater
- Click on the Assign External Rater button. You will see the following tool:
- Using the Clinical Teacher’s school or agency email; click Search
- In most early assessments, the clinical teacher will not exist in our database, so you will need to create a simple profile including their first name, last name and the zip code of the building they work in; click Next
- You will now need to assign the clinical teacher to one of the buildings returned that match the previous zip code; click Next;
- The next screen will return you to the beginning of the process with the proper clinical teach selected. Click the green Confirm button.
- Finally, to finish the process click on the green Assign button and you’ll be taken back to My Ratings and the button will turn green and be replaced with the name of clinical teacher you assigned.
That’s it!! The tool was designed to be as intuitive and painless as possible. MyCOE is now ready with all it needs in order provide clinical teachers with the assessments assigned to them; as much of it as possible will look identical to what you use. But …
What Happens Next
- If the clinical teacher is new to the system, they will receive a MyCOE Invitation via the email you provided
- In that email invitation, there will be a button that will lead them to a page on MyCOE inviting them to login using their Google account
- When it is time for an assessment to be completed:
- You will need to let your clinical teacher know to go to http://mycoe.umsl.edu and click on the External Users Login
- Once authenticated, the clinical teacher will be taken to their Dashboard that currently has only one icon on it; Assessment Manager
- Clicking on Assessment Manager will take them to a My Rating tool just like that which you use, but restricted to just the assessments that have been assigned
- Once the clinical teacher has completed the assessment, you will notice that the indicator in your My Ratings will change from Ready for Rater to Completed and you may review the results
Trackback from your site.