Faculty In-Progress Evaluation of LiveText Portfolios
Important Dates for Fall Semester Final Evaluations:
April 28th | Students submit their portfolios
May 6th | Faculty has the portfolios graded and may request resubmission if necessary
May 9th | Students resubmit portfolios if required
May 12th | Faculty regrades the portfolios that were resubmitted
For a full schedule of LiveText and artifact training, refer to this article.
Please instruct your students to send their work for your review throughout a semester.
LiveText, of course, is a web-based application so it is highly recommended that you use a high-speed Internet connection (DSL/Cable/T1). Both Microsoft’s Internet Explorer (6.0 or greater), Mozilla’s Firefox (1.0 or greater) are fully supported. However, while Apple’s Safari (2.0 or greater) is supported, some document formatting capabilities are limited.
- Remember, if you forgot your password then click ‘Forgot Username/Password?’ to have it reset. Be certain to have your email and security Q&A handy.
To the upper right of your dashboard you’ll see details of your session: your name along with the current date and handy links to My Account, the Forum, and of course Help which has great PDF, Word, and animated demo tutorials.
- The dashboard attempts to give you a clear overview of current accessment activity. Take time to explore the different tools LiveText provides here.
- Hover over items to get an overview of the portfolio’s status.
- To start reviewing your students’ work go to Reviews tab at the top, once you click on it you will see a list of your students’ portfolios.
- Hovering your cursor over the portfolio will pop-up a window with details stating the status of your review (whether you have started or have not started reviewing this portfolio, as well as the time the student has submitted their work, and the number of times the student has submitted it). To start the review click on the name of the portfolio.
- The Document View keeps tools and navigation readily available and intuitive.
- You can start with looking through student’s portfolio by using the Table of Contents in the sidebar
- Use Add comment to annotate documents
- Use Save & Exit if you need to interrupt the process of assessment
Adding your comments as you go
Then go to a specific standard you want to review and start adding comments as you go
- Now you can insert comments into the section itself. Put a cursor where you want to insert a comment and left click! A new window will pop up, start typing!
Now see the results of your work!
- Your students will be able to see all you comments just like this!
Do not forget to hit Send Review button once you are finished!
Advice to Students
Make certain your students are clear on how to submit documents for review:
- Students should open their portfolio
- Click on Send for Review tool
- Type instructor’s name in search field
- Finally, click Submit for Review
After submitting your comments on documents, remind students to review these comments under their account by going to the Reviews tab.
Q: How does a new faculty member get a Livetext membership? Does the faculty members have to pay for it?
A: A new faculty member will need to contact Olena Zhadko in the TLC office by emailing her at email@example.com or by calling (314) 516-4800. Faculty members currently can receive a membership free of charge, courtesy of the TLC.
Q: Where do the training workshops take place?
A: The training sessions take place at the TLC on UMSL’s south campus. If you are not familiar how to get there, use our directions to Marillac and through Marillac at tlc.umsl.edu.
Q: Where do I find the information about the workshops?
A: The information can be found on the College of Education Exchange: coe.umsl.edu/exchange. Search for the term, ‘livetext’ You’ll find the most up-to-date schedules, guides, and other helpful documents.
Q: Do I need to register for the workshops?
A: Students and Faculty need to register by emailing the TLC office at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling at (314) 516-4800.
Q: How long is the membership valid for a student/faculty?
A: Student memberships will for 5 years after activation. Faculty memberships will last for the duration of their employment.
Q: Which Livetext workshops do I need to attend?
A: All of the sessions throughout the semester are of the same level of difficulty, so it is your choice on which one to attend. These sessions focus on getting used to the layout of the website, and how to do basic operations. The Q&A session, the last session offered for the semester, is to answer any last minute questions pertaining to your portfolio. The Artifacts workshops focus on the required content for your portfolio.
Q: Will there be any more Artifact Workshops?
A: There are 2 scheduled workshops to focus on artifacts. If you cannot make those, please contact Stephanie D. Koscielski at email@example.com or call her at
(314) 516-6741 to inquire about addition workshops.
Trackback from your site.